Sunday, January 31, 2016

Jet Ski Fishing

Now, fishing off the back of a jet ski is obviously not ideal. I will tell you it is probably one of my favorite memories of fishing. We recently acquired a pair of jet skis about 3 years ago and they are a blast! One was a two seater and the other was a one seater. My friend and I took these things all over the lake in Canada one summer. One fun thing to do with them is taking them out on the lake when it is really choppy and windy because then you can go flying off, or get splashed with quite a bit of water. Well, when my dad was out on the lake with the boat, my friend and I were dying to get out and go fishing in our "honey hole" (spot where we knew we would catch fish) so we could have ourselves a fish fry. We decided the only way to do this was to jump on the two seater water craft with our poles in hand and catch ourselves some dinner. Once we got there, my friend on the back turned around to face the other way and we began to cast for our dinner. All we talked about was how hungry we were and how awesome it would be to catch a fish off of a jet ski. When we were about to pack up and head home, I got a bite and immediately set the hook. A fish was on the line!! It was the greatest feeling in the world, until I reeled it up to the water craft. My friend and I looked at each other in panic because it was a nice size Northern and we had to quickly figure out how to get it out of the water without a net. Now this was not your standard new stable jet ski. This was an older model that was a lot more tipsy when someone leaned a certain way. I made sure to tire the fish out a little bit and when it came back up to the jet ski, my friend slowly leaned down to grab the line and pull it up for me. We were ecstatic! I threw it in the front compartment of the jet ski and we took it home to fry it up. It was such a fun and funny experience, trying to cast and keep our balance while the two of us sat on a little water craft but it was definitely a memory I will never forget.  

No comments:

Post a Comment